Being able to play on-ball defense takes good technique and the ability to move quickly laterally in either direction. To be good at these things, you have to be willing to put in the time working on them. This defensive basketball drill will work on guarding a live dribble and will also work on learning to compete. There is no help defense, so that means the defender will be put under a spotlight. Everyone will see which players can guard the dribble and which ones are not quite there yet. This basketball drill can also accommodate a larger group of players, so it is a great team basketball drill.
Make sure that you are watching the footwork and technique of the defensive player. If they practice bad habits in live defense, you may want to switch to a different defensive drill that works more on the player’s individual technique. Don’t allow bad habits to creep into a player’s defense.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: 1 on 1 Zig Zag Triplets Defensive Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: At least 3 players and a basketball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- 1 on 1 Spot Triple Threat Basketball Drill
- 1 on 1 Wing Closeout Basketball Drill
- 2 on 2 Wing Closeout Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on closing out, on-ball defense, and learning to compete.
- Don’t practice bad habits, do your best not to foul when playing defense, and cut off the ball handler with your chest.
- You can do this basketball drill in each corner if you want to help the players get more repetitions, but you need at least 3 players in each group.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- One player will start with the basketball on the baseline, and the other players will be at half court in a line.
- The player with the ball will run out to the free-throw line and then roll the ball out to the first player in line at half court.
- As the ball is rolling, they will close out the player and then breakdown into a defensive stance.
- The offensive player will catch the ball in a triple threat position, and as soon as they do, the basketball drill is live.
- The offensive player must stay in the 1/3 side of the court, but they are trying to beat the defender off the dribble to the baseline.
- The defender will try and stay in front of the offensive player and turn them three times before they reach the baseline.
- Once the players reach the baseline, the offensive player turns around and becomes the defender to the next player in line (defender gets in the back of the line).