Cornell Mann is an assistant men's basketball coach at Iowa State University and is in his second year there. Before that he was at Dayton University for 3 years where he helped the Flyers to achieve 3 straight post season bids. Coach Mann is an experienced division 1 assistant coach and has been around the game for a long time. These are the basketball coaching clinic notes that were taken from when spoke at the 2010 Rising Coaches Conference.
I do the best I can to be real at all times
Support staff jobs are important, always remember that!
- Work hard at everything you do
Meeting new people is essential
- Hand-write letters to people all the time
DO A GREAT JOB AT THE JOB YOU ARE AT
The people you work with are the people you need to impress
- Never let an opportunity pass you by
- Wear slacks to the office on an off-day
- Know your co-workers contacts
- Your coaches are your promoters... Earn their respect!
Best way to advance: show passion & attack each assignment/task with passion
- Have an attention to detail and consistent with terminology
- Have a niche!
- Re-create your position on your staff
- Ask your coaches for projects & be creative
- Create projects for your staff
- Continue to be impressive to everyone
Learn how, not who
- Learn how to do things from people, but don’t be them- be yourself & be real
- Be you & learn how you can be successful
Hold true to your core values
- Don’t ever compare yourself to the success of others