Kobe Bryant was one of the best basketball players at getting a shot off out of the pivot series – and then also making it. He was so good at it because he had so many scoring options out of the pivot, and he also hits some incredibly tough shots. This basketball move is going to take advantage of the way the defense is guarding you. It is going to use their over-aggressiveness and momentum against themselves. It is a great basketball fundamental that every wing player should take the time to learn.
Learning how to make a Kobe Bryant pound pivot move is all about learning to be under control and selling your move. This basketball training video will teach you what to do on the move, but it will also explain why you are doing it and give you expert tips on selling the move.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: How to Do a Kobe Bryant Pound Pivot in Basketball
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and a basket.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- How to Do a Euro Step in Basketball
- How to Do a Rondo Fake in Basketball
- How to do a Pro Hop in Basketball
Goals of the Drill
- Learn how to finish around the basket and use the pound pivot move.
- Get your momentum going forward to sell the move and then stop as sharply as you can.
- When you pivot, get all the way around so that your body is squared up to the basket again.
- Try not to fade too much on your shot.
- Visualize a defender being on your hip and trying to get back in front of you aggressively, or that they are trying to run down your shot to block it.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Begin on the wing and dribble-drive to the basket with either hand.
- When you get about 5 feet away, plant your back foot (if you are driving right, it will be your right foot, and if left, your left foot).
- Pivot all the way around and shoot the basketball.