Sometimes, when doing catch and shoot basketball shooting drills, you can fade mentally if you aren’t careful. The shooting begins to get repetitive, your shot becomes sloppy, and you end up actually practicing bad habits, which in the long run actually hurts your shot more than helps it.
A great way to stay mentally focused and locked into volume shooting is to have fresh types of basketball shooting drills or challenges that the shooter must do as they shoot. This is not one of the more complex basketball drills that we offer, but it will provide another variation that you can use when shooting to keep the player mentally locked in and engaged.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Side Step Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 1-2 basketballs and 1-2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Double or Nothing Basketball Shooting Drill
- 2 Minute Magic Basketball Shooting Drill (5 Shot)
- Field Goal Percentage Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on shooting and developing mental toughness as a shooter.
- Stay mentally engaged and shoot the same way every time; really lock in on the details of shooting the basketball.
- Shoot one shot at a time, and don’t let a miss negatively impact your next shot.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- This basketball shooting drill aims to make a total of 100 combined shots from 5 spots on the floor; corner to the wing, wing to the slot, slot to slot, opposite slot to the opposite wing, and opposite wing to the opposite corner.
- At each spot, the player will continue to shoot until they miss two in a row.
- After each shot, the player will slide one step to either their left or right (depending on which way they are working their way up or down in a spot).
- Once the player misses two shots in a row, they will move on to the next spot.
- After all 5 spots, total the number of makes and see if you were able to beat the hundred point mark or the goal established for the shooter.