This is a great basketball workout for developing a player’s reflexes and reaction time. In a game, there are what we call “50/50 balls,” and these are loose balls that either team has the ability to get. This basketball quickness and speed drill will help with your reaction time so that when you see a loose ball, you will be able to react quickly and get to the ball before the other team. It is also designed to work on the player’s overall quickness and reaction time. Whether it is for a loose ball or something else, it is important to react quickly and get moving.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Ball Drop Reaction Drill
Equipment Needed: Partner and Tennis ball/Basketball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Rolling Starts Drill
- The Techniques of Running – Drive Phase Drill
- The Techniques of Running – First Step Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Improve quickness and speed
- Explode on your first step, No false step, Drive through and explode forward.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The athlete starts in an athletic position.
- The coach and player start about 10 feet away, and as soon as the coach drops the ball, the player shoots out of blocks and tries to grab the ball before it bounces twice.
- Continue to move farther apart to test the athlete.
- A basketball can be used and dropped in front of the basket so that the player must get to the basketball before it bounces twice and score it with a layup or dunk.