Cone sprints partner racing allows you to work on your speed/quickness and your change of direction quickness. By using the cones, you have a measurable distance, and because of that, you can time yourself and work to improve your speed. Also, having competition racing against you will hopefully cause you to move faster during the workout. It is crucial, though, that your technique and form does not change. The players must keep good form during this basketball workout to get the most out of the drill.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Cone Sprints Partner Racing Drill
Equipment Needed: 5 cones and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Improve your speed/quickness and change of direction
- Stay in a straight line, have some bend in your legs when you change direction.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up 5 cones in a straight line; the distance between the cones is up to you.
- Both Athletes will start facing each other on opposite sides of the middle cone.
- One of the athletes is the actor, and the other is the reactor.
- As soon as the actor picks a direction, the reactor takes the opposite direction.
- Each athlete must circle the farthest cone, the near cone, back out to the farthest cone, and then sprint to the middle cone, and the first player to knock over the center cone with his hand wins the drill.