The foot crossover change direction drill is a great basketball quickness and speed drill for getting lots of reps at the crossover step. When you are getting back in transition on defense, the first couple of steps are so important. This is where the crossover step comes in. If you waste movement as a player, you make yourself slower. You want to be as efficient as you can with your footwork.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Foot Crossover Change Direction Drill
Equipment Needed: None.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Get lots of reps at the foot crossover and develop turn and sprint speed.
- Stay in a straight line, have a bend in your legs when you change direction, Cross your leg over when changing directions, take one more step before you plant to sprint if you need.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player is going to start facing sideways and crossing one foot over the other.
- When the coach says, “change,” the player will plant and sprint back the opposite way.
- This basketball workout can be adjusted to the coach’s command, and there are different variations to this drill.