This basketball speed and quickness drill is very basic, but when you start to break motions down as a runner, you want to be as efficient as possible. You do not want to have any wasted motion. The arm movement drill allows you to correct minor flaws in your running technique, which will help you become a more efficient and faster runner.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: The Techniques of Running – Arm Movement Drill
Equipment Needed: None.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Rolling Starts Drill
- The Techniques of Running – Drive Phase Drill
- The Techniques of Running – First Step Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Teach the proper running form in your arm movements.
- Really focus on your technique; think of hips to lips, relax your body.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Start with your feet in a staggered stance and your arms bent at a 90-degree angle.
- While keeping your arms bent at a 90-degree angle, start by bringing one of your arms up and the other down at the same time in a running motion.
- You want to bring your arms from your hips to your lips.
- This means that your arm goes up to your lips and then all the way down to your hips.
- Thinking about this helps you to get the full motion.
- Start slow and gradually build up arm speed.