As a basketball player, it is essential to have a quick first step. Throughout the course of a game, you will be going from stop to start multiple times. The quicker you can get into full speed, the more of an advantage you will have over your competition. This basketball quickness and speed drill will break down the first step and teach you the proper way of starting so that you do not waste any motion. If you can be more efficient in your movements, you become quicker as a player.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: The Techniques of Running – First Step Drill
Equipment Needed: None.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Wall Explosion Drill
- The Techniques of Running – Drive Phase Drill
- The Techniques of Running – Arm Movement Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Teach the proper technique for first step quickness
- As you go through this basketball workout focus on your technique, keep your back straight, don’t overextend your front leg, and pump arms.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Start with your feet even about shoulder-width apart.
- Roll up onto your toes, fall forward, extend your right or left foot forward, and catch yourself in a running stance.
- After extending out, your body should be in a straight line from your back all the way down to your trail leg.
- As you take your step, make sure that you pump your arms.
- Don’t overextend your front leg.