Quickness is a big part of basketball, and if you are also able to read and react, this will make you even quicker. This basketball drill will help train you to react quicker and be explosive off of the dribble. When you see a driving lane to the basket, you need to react quickly to it and take advantage. Learn how to do this better with this ball handling band and basketball finishing drill.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Read and React on the Move Alternating Pound Two Ball Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Read and React On the Move Two Ball Basketball Drill
- Quick Feet In and Out Basketball Drill
- Quick Feet Two Ball In and Out Crossover Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on your ball handling and learn to read and react quicker.
- Stay low on your dribble, pound the basketballs, and keep your eyes up.
- As soon as the coach/partner makes the move for one of the basketballs, explode forward with the other one.
- Train your body to react as quickly as you can.
- Get to the basket in a few dribbles as possible.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Have the player start with both basketballs at the top of the key about 10 feet back.
- The coach/partner will stand 3-4 feet in front of the player and face them.
- The player will start dribbling the basketballs in an alternating pattern and begin moving forward towards the coach.
- As he does, the coach will start backpedaling.
- At any time, the coach can shoot in and steal either basketball.
- When the coach does, the player must immediately react and attack with the opposite basketball and finish at the basket.
- The player can use any finish that they want or pull up for a jump shot; the coach can decide the finish.