Shooting the basketball on the move is all about the right footwork and getting your body squared up to the basket. If you can do these things correctly, your shooting percentage will go way up.
This catch and shoot basketball drill is perfect for getting a lot of repetitions of shooting on the move from different spots on the floor. For this basketball drill, you will only shoot three-pointers, and you will simulate coming into your shot off of different types of cuts. You must get your momentum moving back in towards the basket before you shoot the ball.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Star Drill 3 Pointers (12 Spots)
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Develop your footwork and practice getting squared while shooting on the move.
- Open up your shoulders to the basketball the right way every time you get to the spot to shoot.
- Catch the basketball down ready to shoot, and get your body squared up each time.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The shooter will start behind the 3 point line in the left corner, ready to shoot.
- He/she is going to shoot 12 3’s and in this order; left corner, top of the key, right corner, left-wing, right-wing, and then left corner again.
- Once the player reaches the left corner again, they will run across the baseline and repeat the same pattern from the right corner.
- The shooter must run in a straight line to each spot.
- For this basketball shooting drill to work correctly, the passer must move around and adjust the passing angle as the player moves to the different spots.