This is an advanced basketball tennis ball dribbling drill that will work on being able to make quick moves with the basketball while at the same time tossing and catching a tennis ball. Using a tennis ball makes the player have to complete the move quicker than they normally would without it. They must toss the ball up in the air, and then complete the move and catch the tennis ball before it hits the ground.
Basketball drills like this are great for improving your hands as well as your ball handling. So whether you are a primary ball handler or not, tennis balls can be great for improving your hands. If you have a big man who struggles to catch the ball in the post, try out some of these basketball dribbling drills.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Double Reverse Between the Legs Toss Tennis Ball Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and a tennis ball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Between the Legs Crossover Toss Tennis Ball Basketball Drill
- Double Behind the Back Toss Tennis Ball Basketball Drill
- Double Crossover Toss Tennis Ball Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on ball handling and being able to dribble with your eyes up.
- Focus on making a good toss to yourself each time.
- Make the move as quickly as you can while the tennis ball is up in the air.
- Stay low in an athletic stance during the drill.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Stand with a tennis ball in your left hand and a basketball in your right hand.
- Begin dribbling the basketball with your right hand.
- Toss the tennis ball up in the air, and while the ball is in the air, dribble the basketball reverse between your legs to your left hand and then back reverse between your legs with your left hand (figure 8 or scissor motion).
- Catch the tennis ball with your left hand before it hits the ground.
- Continue this for 20-30 seconds and then switch hands.