The dumbbell squat jump exercise is going to help develop and build lower body power and explosiveness. Both of which are extremely important in the game of basketball. When you get in the weight room to workout, you want to make sure you are doing sport-specific training. There is a big difference between what a bodybuilder wants to work on and what a basketball player does.
By doing exercises like the dumbbell jump squat, you are working on movements that you will use in a game, and that is exactly what you want from the weight room. If it doesn’t translate over to the court and into your basketball training, practices, and games, it isn’t worth anything. Check out the rest of our basketball exercises to find more great exercises that you can use in the weight room.
Basketball Exercise Overview
Exercise Name: Dumbbell Squat Jump Exercise
Equipment Needed: Dumbbells.
Similar Basketball Exercises and Resources
Goals of the Exercise
- Work on explosiveness and jumping ability.
- Land as softly as you can each time.
- Think explosiveness and jump as high as you can each time.
Basketball Exercise Instructions
- Grab a dumbbell in each hand and let them hang at your side.
- Squat down about a quarter of the way, and then jump upwards as high as you can.
- Land softly on your feet, and then go directly into the next repetition.
- Repeat for the desired amount of reps.