The power push up exercise is more advanced, but it can be perfect for developing upper-body explosiveness. Basketball players want to be explosive in all of their movements in the weight room, and this exercise really focuses on that. This basketball exercise is a build-up from regular push-ups, so before attempting the power push up, make sure that you have mastered the regular push-up. Also, make sure that when doing this exercise, you are not sacrificing your form. If the exercise causes the player to have to cheat on their form, switch to a lower box or change to regular push-ups. Working on upper body strength will help players be stronger with the ball when rebounding, finishing at the basket, etc.
Basketball Exercise Overview
Exercise Name: Power Push Up Exercise
Equipment Needed: 2 flat benches or 2 boxes.
Similar Basketball Exercises and Resources
Goals of the Exercise
- Develop upper body strength and explosiveness.
- Keep good form the entire time.
- Push yourself up as high as you can.
- Land softly as you come back down to the ground and make sure that your arms have some give in them.
Basketball Exercise Instructions
- Place two benches or boxes parallel to each other with enough room in between them for a person.
- Put your hands on the benches/boxes and get into a push-up position.
- Now pull your hands off the bench and let yourself drop down to the ground.
- As your hands hit the ground, you are going to drop right into a push-up, touching your chest lightly to the ground.
- Immediately push yourself back up and off the ground, and catch yourself on the benches.
- This completes one repetition.