The resistance band speed squat exercise will be great for developing explosiveness and quickness in a player’s legs. Using a resistance band instead of weights works well because it allows the player range of motion when doing the exercise. Using a barbell to do squats is still a great exercise, but this specific exercise will help focus on a couple of different areas, and it really lets the player be explosive in their movements.
Being able to jump quickly translates into so many different areas of the game of basketball. Whether it is; jumping to block a shot, grabbing a rebound, or finishing at the rim, the player who can get off the ground the quickest has a big advantage. This exercise is going to help develop a player’s fast-twitch muscles and make them more explosive. This basketball exercise will help to teach good jumping technique and learning to be explosive. So you must make sure this translates over to the court and that you continue to work on being explosive in your basketball training as well.
Basketball Exercise Overview
Exercise Name: Resistance Band Speed Squat Exercise
Equipment Needed: Squat rack, weighted ball, and a resistance band.
Similar Basketball Exercises and Resources
Goals of the Exercise
- Work on becoming an explosive and quick jumper.
- Focus on good form and squatting technique.
- Push yourself to be as explosive as you can, and if you feel that the resistance is too much, find a weaker band.
- Don’t let your knees angle in when you squat down.
- There are two different variations to this basketball workout.
- Variation 1: Squat down at a slower speed and then explode upwards. Works on explosiveness and technique.
- Variation 2: Complete the squats as quickly as you can, going up and down at the same speed. Works on muscle endurance.
Basketball Exercise Instructions
- Set up two safety bars on the front of the squat rack at about waist height, and then place a resistance band around the bars.
- Place a weighted ball under the resistance band.
- Sit down on the weighted ball and put the resistance band over top of your upper back area.
- Bring your arms over top of the resistance band to help hold it in place and then stand up.
- Now squat down until your butt touches the weighted ball, and then stand back up as quickly as possible.
- This completes one repetition.