A big part of being athletic and being able to jump higher and faster is technique and form. You have to load the correct way and then also know how to propel yourself upwards. It involves hip drive, ankle extension, using your arms the correct way, etc. All of these are important in getting the most out of being able to jump high.
This basketball exercise will teach you the correct way to jump by breaking down the different movements. It is also going to give the player plenty of repetitions on practicing the movement. This movement will translate over to the court and help the player become a better rebounder, shot blocker, finisher at the basket, etc. Make sure that when you are in the weight room, you are doing basketball-specific training that is going to transfer over to the court and help you become a better player.
Basketball Exercise Overview
Exercise Name: Squat Jump Exercise
Equipment Needed: None.
Similar Basketball Exercises and Resources
Goals of the Exercise
- Work on the proper jumping technique off of two feet, and then get lots of repetitions at the move. This will help to strengthen the player’s legs as well.
- Really focus on the correct jumping technique and make sure that you are getting hip drive and ankle extension as you go to jump; this will help you to jump your highest.
- Everything should be working together in unison to help you jump higher.
- Land as softly as you can and with slightly bent knees.
- Don’t let your knees cave in towards each other as you go to jump.
Basketball Exercise Instructions
- Stand with your feet about shoulder-width apart.
- Place your hands on the side of your head (optional).
- Bend at the knees and waist and squat down.
- Now stand back upwards and jump as high as you can in the air.
- Land softly on both feet and immediately go into the next repetition.