The squat and press exercise is a compound movement that will work on both the lower and upper body. It is also an exercise that is going to work on a specific basketball movement. It will work on generating power off of two legs for finishing around the basket, rebounding, etc. The shoulder press at the end of the movement is also going to work on being able to finish through contact. So if the defender goes to foul the player on the finish, they will be able to power through and get the and one.
Basketball exercises like this are a must if you want to maximize your athleticism as a player. Make sure, though, that you spend the time learning the correct form before you add this exercise to your basketball training plan. This will help to prevent injuries from happening and also to promote maximum muscle and strength growth.
Basketball Exercise Overview
Exercise Name: Squat and Press Exercise
Equipment Needed: Dumbbells or barbell.
Similar Basketball Exercises and Resources
Goals of the Exercise
- Develop strength and explosiveness in the legs, shoulders, and upper back.
- Really focus on having the correct form, even if it means starting with a lighter weight at the beginning.
- Be explosive with your upward movement, and use the momentum from standing up to help you push press the weight upwards.
- Don’t let your form suffer as you get tired.
Basketball Exercise Instructions
- Grab a pair of dumbbells or a barbell and hold the weight at shoulder level.
- With your feet about shoulder-width apart, you are going to squat down to a 90-degree angle.
- Explosively stand back up, and as you are about all the way up, you will push press the weight up over your head.
- Lower the weight back down to your shoulders to finish the repetition.