A big part of post play in basketball is positioning. The better position you have when you receive the ball, the higher of a percentage your shot is going to be. Great post players know how to fight for position before the ball gets there, and they can get a deep catch for a high percentage finish. However, sometimes the defense does a great job defending the block and does not allow a deep catch.
Instead of trying to attack from a position away from the basket, a smart post player will kick the ball back out and immediately try to repost and catch the defender off guard. This allows for the deep catch and high percentage finish. This basketball post move drill is going to work exactly on this. It will explain the correct way to repost and then allow the player to practice different types of finishes around the basket.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Repost and Finish Post Move Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball, a pad, and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- How to do a Duck In Post Move in Basketball
- High Low Basketball Post Drill
- Game Situations Basketball Post Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on reposting for better positioning.
- Don’t post up too low and eliminate being able to make a move to the baseline.
- Once you give the basketball up, don’t hesitate; immediately duck in and look to get better positioning.
- Mix up your finishes and work on different moves around the basket.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The post player will be on the block with a defender on their back with a pad.
- The ball is going to be at the top of the key with the passer.
- When this basketball drill starts, the passer will dribble over to the wing to make an entry pass.
- As this is happening, the post defender is going to ride the offensive player out of position.
- The player will catch the ball off the block, kick the ball back out, and then duck in and repost for a deeper catch.
- On the catch, the offensive post player must finish through the contact of the pad.
- After the make, reset and repeat the same action.
- Continue for the desired amount of repetitions and then switch sides.