This basketball dribbling drill will work on changing directions quickly and making a move while attacking at a high speed. It is great for getting up the floor quickly in transition and then making a move past a defender that steps in front of you and tries to cut you off without slowing down. The faster you can get up the floor with the basketball while still being in control of your dribble, the more pressure a ball handler can put on the defense. So whether it is to get up the floor to finish at the basket or to set up a teammate. It adds a lot of value to the offense.
When doing the one ball basketball dribbling drill, it is important to remember that it is okay to turn the ball over. This sounds weird at first, but the idea is to have the player get out of their comfort zone and push themselves. That way, when they get in a game situation, they are prepared to go at their top speed and will be able better to control the basketball. This is a great basketball drill to do in practice or with a small group during training.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: 1 Dribble Reverse Between the Legs Change Direction Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: Basketball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- 1 Dribble Behind the Back Change Direction Basketball Drill
- 1 Dribble Between the Legs Change Direction Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on handling the basketball at full speed and being able to make a move without slowing down.
- Do your best not to slow down before making the reverse between the legs move.
- If you hear sneakers squeaking on the floor, that is a good sign that the player doing the drill is slowing down.
- Keep your eyes up the whole time, and don’t be afraid to make a mistake.
- Push yourself to go as fast as you can.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player is going to start on the baseline with a basketball.
- They will take one dribble forward at a slight angle and then make a reverse between the legs dribble move to their opposite hand.
- They will take another dribble and then make the move back to their starting hand.
- Alternate like this all the way down the floor as fast as you can.