Competition basketball drills are great because you can really see what your players are made of and also allow them to practice different basketball moves against a live defender. The dribble line basketball defensive drill will show you right away which players want to play defense and which ones don’t because there is no help defense.
During defensive basketball drills like this, try to let your players play through the fouls, but make a call if it is getting out of hand. That way, in a game, they are used to the contact, and if a referee misses a call, they are already used to playing through a missed call. Just be careful not to allow your defensive players to practice bad habits. Basketball drills like this can sometimes create bad defensive habits if you aren’t making sure to stress playing defense without fouling.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: 1 on 1 Dribble Line Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 Basketball and at least 3-4 players.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- 1 on 1 Three Chairs Basketball Drill
- 1 on 1 Spot Triple Threat Basketball Drill
- 1 on 1 Plug and Closeout Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on defensive closeouts and 1-on-1 defense.
- Chop your steps and get your hands up high on the closeout.
- Don’t over closeout the offensive player and be ready to slide either direction to cut the player off on the 4th pass.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Have one player start on the block and the other players in a line on the wing.
- Have the player on the block start with the ball and throw it out to the first man in the players’ line.
- The defender will close out and then guard the dribble drive for about 3-4 dribble.
- The offensive player will kick the ball back out to the next player in the line, and the defender must close out again and guard the dribble.
- Repeat this one more time, and then on the fourth pass, the defender must closeout, and the ball is now “live.”
- This means that it is just straight one on one until either the offensive player scores or the defensive player gets a stop.
- Have the next defensive player get on the block and restart the drill.