There are plenty of basketball players out there that can make shot after shot in practice but struggle to take and make big shots in a game because of the added pressure. The pressure causes the shooter to second guess themselves because they are not used to shooting with that type of pressure on their shoulders. This is something that many players struggle with, and it is also important to make sure that you are doing basketball shooting drills that help simulate this kind of pressure.
This catch and shoot basketball shooting drill will force the player to make shots with pressure on each miss, and the goal of this is to teach the player to be able to make big shots when there is pressure in a game situation. This is a great basketball drill to add to your practice, basketball training, or shooting with a partner.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: 15 and 3 Pressure Shooting Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs and 2 partners (could be done with one ball and one partner as well).
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- 5 Spots Mid Range Basketball Shooting Drill
- 2 Minute Magic Basketball Shooting Drill
- 7-5-3-1 Mid Range Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on getting game shots and also learn how to shoot under pressure.
- Come into your shot with the same footwork and consistency, and stay in your shot until you make or miss.
- Shoot the ball with confidence and value each shot.
- Every shot is its own shot, and it doesn’t matter what you did on the last shot.
- If you are doing this drill with less advanced players, you can change the number of makes or misses and work your way up to 15 and 3.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- There will be one partner as a passer at the top of the key, and the other will be a rebounder in the paint.
- The shooter is going to start in the corner at the mid-range area.
- When the drill starts, the player will get a catch and shoot mid-range shot.
- After they shoot the shot, they will run up to the wing for another catch and shoot shot.
- This pattern will continue back and forth.
- The goal of the drill is to make 15 total shots before the player misses 3 shots.
- The drill can also be done from the 3 point line and can be done at the top of the key (shooter would run from elbow to elbow).