This is a great basketball dribbling drill for younger players to do on that are trying to develop their handles. It is not just enough to make different basketball dribbling moves, but you also need to be able to do them with your eyes up. A lot of younger players struggle with being able to dribble with their eyes up, but basketball drills like this will help fix that.
Along with helping the player keep their eyes up, this drill will also teach the player to think while dribbling the basketball. In a game, the ball handler will not be able to think about what move to make because they are going to need to read the defense and make the correct play.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: 3 Dribble Partner Tennis Ball Toss/Bounce Behind the Back Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs, 2 tennis balls, and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Partner Tennis Ball Toss Behind the Back Basketball Drill
- Partner Tennis Ball Toss/Bounce Reverse Between the Legs Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Develop ball handling, hand coordination, and learn how to communicate better.
- Keep your eyes up, stay low, and focus on a good toss/bounce each time.
- Count out the dribbles together and then say toss to make this tennis ball basketball drill easier.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Each player needs a tennis ball and a basketball.
- The tennis ball goes in the left hand and the basketball in the right.
- The players will face each other and take 3 dribbles with the basketball before tossing/bouncing the tennis ball to each other (determine before the drill which player will bounce/toss).
- Before the players catch the tennis ball, they must make a behind the back move with the basketball.
- They will then catch the tennis ball with the hand that just had the basketball.
- Continue this motion 30-60 seconds, alternating hands each time.
- Switch which player bounces the tennis ball halfway through.
- Another way to do the drill is to have the coach call out switch whenever they want, and the players have to change who bounces and tosses.