Footwork has a big impact on a basketball player’s shooting percentage. It helps them get their body squared up to the basket, gets momentum moving to the basket, and helps to load the shot. So shooters in basketball must be spending the needed time on their footwork and practicing coming into their shot from multiple spots on the floor.
This catch and shoot basketball shooting drill will allow the shooter to get a lot of quality repetitions in a short period of time. The player will develop the needed muscle memory of coming into their shot the correct way each time.
Along with this being a great basketball shooting drill, it can also be a great team basketball drill to do in a practice setting if you have side hoops. It will allow your entire team to work on their shooting at the same time. This will allow you to do skill development; while also being mindful of your overall practice time restraints.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: 3 Man 2 Ball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs, 2 partners, and a cone/chair.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- 3 Man 2 Ball Mid Range Shooting Drill
- Backpedal Mid Range Shooting Drill
- Sideline to Elbow Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on being down ready, coming into your shot the correct way, and getting a lot of repetitions.
- Show your hands to receive the pass, and come into your shot the same way every time.
- Hold your follow-through and stay in your shot until you make or miss.
- You can set the basketball drill up for a certain number of makes, shots, or time.
- When you rotate, the shooter goes to being the rebounder, the rebounder goes to being the passer, and the passer goes to being the shooter.
- No wasted time in between.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up a chair/cone 5-6 feet off the 3 point line anywhere out on the perimeter.
- Have the shooter start by the chair, the passer on the perimeter, and the rebounder by the basket.
- When the drill starts, the shooter will fill in towards the 3 point line to receive a pass for a catch and shoot 3 pointer.
- After the player shoots their shot, they must run back around the chair and fill in for another 3 point shot on the other side of the chair.
- This pattern will continue for the desired amount of shots, makes, or time.