This is not one of the more complex basketball drills, but it is perfect for working on footwork coming into your shot and also for getting a lot of quality repetitions in a short period of time. The drill is called 3 man 2 ball shooting, and the goal of this catch and shoot basketball shooting drill is to help the player really work on the fundamentals of shooting and coming into their shot the same way every time. That way, when the player gets into a game situation, their muscle memory takes over, and they do not have to think about how they will shoot the ball.
Along with this being a great basketball shooting drill, it can also be used as a conditioning drill if you choose to have the player run a farther distance by moving the cone or making the drill’s time longer. As the player begins to get tired, it also turns into a mental toughness drill as well.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: 3 Man 2 Ball Mid Range Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketball, 2 partners, and a cone/chair.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Work on coming into your shot the correct way and getting a lot of mid-range shots.
- Come into your shot the correct way every time; drop your butt, show your hands, and catch the ball moving towards the basket.
- Stay in your shot until you make or miss, don’t allow yourself to backpedal out of your shot early.
- Stay locked in mentally if you begin to get fatigued.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Place a cone just above the top of the key, and have the shooter start on either side of the cone.
- The passer will be on either wing and the rebounder in the paint.
- When the drill starts, the shooter will run around the top of the cone to the other elbow for a catch and shoot shot.
- After they shoot the ball, they will run back around the top of the cone to the other elbow for a shot.
- This will continue back and forth for the desired amount of time or a set number of makes or shots.
- If you are doing this as a team basketball drill, here are the rotations after the shooter finishes shooting.
- The shooter will become the rebounder, the rebounder becomes the passer, and the passer becomes the shooter.