This is not one of the more complicated basketball drills out there, but it is great for working on several different things simultaneously. It will develop a player’s touch around the basket, timing, and their ability to generate multiple quick jumps in a row. This last skill is important because a lot of times, the player that has the best chance to tip the ball back in, is the post player that just missed the short finish at the basket. The reason why is because they know where the ball is going before anyone else, and they should already have the position to tip the ball in.
Along with this basketball rebounding drill working on these specific skills, it also reinforces the habit of crashing the offensive boards. Players must have the mindset of following every shot taken by themselves or a teammate (unless they are getting back for defensive purposes). This is a great drill to use as a warm-up before practice or basketball training.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Alternating Tips Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Backboard Tips Basketball Rebounding Drill
- Kevin Mchale Tips Basketball Rebounding Drill
- Tip Dunk Basketball Rebounding Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on developing soft hands around the basket, timing, and developing a quick second jump.
- Get up off the ground as high as you can on every jump, and tip the ball with your arm extended.
- Do your best to get back up off the ground as quickly as you can on each jump.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player is going to start on the right side of the basket just inside the block.
- When the drill starts, the player will toss the basketball up against the backboard.
- They will then jump up off the ground, and while in the air, they will tip the ball back against the backboard with their right hand.
- As soon as they land, they will jump back up and repeat, but this time tipping the ball with their left hand.
- The player will continue this alternating tip motion until the 5th tip, where instead of tipping the ball against the backboard, they will try to tip the ball in the basket.
- After tipping the ball in, the player will gather the ball and then repeat on the left side of the basket.