Learning a basic athletic position and doing foot chops is part of our basic basketball agility training series. This basketball training video covers learning how to maintain basic athletic position and detailed instructions for completing and coaching the 3 versions of foot chops. It is important to develop a great foundation or athletic position because almost every athletic movement will start from this position. During the course of a game, you want to be in this position as much as possible.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Foot Chops (Inside-Outside)
Equipment Needed: None
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Learn to maintain athletic position, lateral quickness
- Begin by using short quick steps rather than large wide ones.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Inside-Outside Variation:
- From an athletic position, quickly move your feet towards each other than immediately away from each other continuously for a set number of repetitions or time.
- Forwards-Backwards Variation:
- From an athletic position, quickly move one foot forward and the other backward, then immediately switch. Continue alternating as quickly as possible for a set number of repetitions or time.
- Alternating Variation:
- From an athletic position, begin by performing the lateral foot chop exercise.
- On your coach’s signal, without hesitating, switch to the forward/backward motion.
- Continue for a specific time or number of switches.