This is a great basketball shooting drill that you can use to warm up from the mid-range and the 3 point line, and it will also put a little bit of pressure on the shooter. Most players want to just come out and jack up a bunch of 3 pointers without first getting warmed up or working on their mid-range shot. This catch and shoot basketball shooting drill forces the player to have to hit a mid-range shot in order to go out and shoot 3 pointers.
Another good thing that this basketball drill does is that it allows the player to get a lot of quality shooting repetitions. It is important that the player comes into their shot the same way every time and stays in their shot until they see if it makes or misses. Practicing good habits makes all the difference between an average shooter and a great shooter in basketball.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Aussie Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and 1 partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Sideline to Elbow Basketball Shooting Drill
- Star Drill Shot Fake 1 Dribble Pull Up
- Teammate 3 in a Row Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on your mid-range shot and 3-point shot and get warmed up.
- Really focus on your basketball shooting fundamentals and come into your the same way every time.
- Shoot at game speed.
- Stay in your shot and wait till it either goes in or misses before going to the next shot.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player will start in the corner mid-range area, and the partner will be in the paint with the ball.
- There will be 5 different spots that the player will shoot from, and in this order; corner, wing, top of the key, opposite wing, and opposite corner.
- The shooter must make a mid-range shot to move out to shoot the 3- pointer.
- If they make the 3-pointer, they move onto the next spot, but if they miss, they must go back and make the mid-range shot again.
- Once they make the 3-point shot, though, they are done with that spot for good.
- The shooter must do this at all 5 spots to complete the drill.