There are basketball shooting drills to work on different types of shooting, footwork, game situation shots, etc. The Backboard touch shooting drill will work specifically on the players shooting mechanics, touch, and getting them warmed up before playing a game or before basketball training. When the player does the drill, though, they really need to be focusing on their mechanics and staying mentally engaged; otherwise, it is just a time waste.
Because this basketball drill is only done at half speed, it allows the player to take their time and really lock in on their shooting mechanics. Also, using the backboard makes the player focus on shooting every shot with an arc on it, and it teaches them the value of using the backboard. Players like Tim Duncan have learned the value of using the backboard and, by using it, have mastered the mid-range shooting area. Another great thing that this catch and shoot basketball shooting drill will work on is the player’s footwork coming into the shot. Since it is at half speed, it will help them practice the correct footwork.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Backboard Touch Shooting Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Warm-up, practice shooting mechanics, and work on the bank shot.
- Player needs to focus on proper footwork, shooting mechanics, and developing confidence in their shot.
- Put plenty of arc on every shot.
- Stay balanced on the shot and jump straight up and down.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player will stay with 10-12 feet of the basket when they shoot.
- They will start the drill in the paint with the basketball, and they are going to spin the ball out to themselves.
- As they go to get the ball, they will line up their footwork, get squared up to the basket, and then shoot the ball off the backboard for a bank shot.
- After they shoot the ball (and wait to see if it goes in or misses), they will get their rebound and then spin it out to a different spot.
- This will continue for a certain amount of time, shot repetitions, or makes.