Backboard touches are a great way to work on your quick jump ability and also your jumping endurance. In a game, you might need to jump 3 or 4 times in a row if you challenge a shot and then need to turn to rebound or tip the ball to yourself or a teammate. This vertical jump basketball drill will also help to work on the player’s overall vertical as well.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Backboard Touches Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: None.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Improve Vertical and Second Jump Quickness
- Your feet should be shoulder-width apart.
- As soon as you land, jump back up.
- Throw yourself up with your arms.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Start under the backboard facing it in an athletic position.
- Jump up as high as you can, shoot your arms in the air, and try and touch the backboard as high up on it as you can.
- As soon as you land, jump back up and repeat.
- Do this drill for time or a set number of repetitions.