Out of a ball screen action, the ball handler has several different options. It is important that the player can read what the defense is doing and then complete the move that will exploit it. This comes down to having great basketball fundamentals and executing the correct move when the time comes.
For this ball screen pull up jump shot drill, you will work on using the ball screen, turning the corner, and then pulling up for a jump shot. In this scenario, the on-ball defender is chasing the ball handler over the screen, and the big man defender is sitting back in the paint. The ball handler will raise up for a shot right after coming off the ball screen before the big man can contest the shot.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Ball Screen Pull Up Jump Shot Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 Basketball, a chair, and a basket.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Ball Screen Switch Mismatch Basketball Drill
- Ball Screen Split Basketball Drill
- Ball Screen Turn the Corner Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on coming off the ball screen on either wing and then pulling up for a jump shot at the elbow.
- Don’t turn your back to the ball screen, see the floor, come off the ball screen hard, and come shoulder to shoulder with the screener.
- Make it look like you will attack the basket off the ball screen and then raise up for the jumper.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Have one chair placed right above the free throw line extended out on the wing.
- The line of players will start just below half court on the sideline.
- One player at a time is going to dribble down the sideline below the chair, set the imaginary defender up, and then come off the ball screen.
- After the player comes off the ball screen,they will shoot the pull-up jump shot at the elbow.
- Get the rebound and then get in the back of the line.