This basketball workout is going to help the player to be able to develop an explosive drop step jump at the basket. The resistance band will put an added strain on the player’s body and make their muscles work harder than they normally would have to. That way, when the bands are removed, the muscles think that they must put out just as much effort, but there is no resistance anymore, so the player will jump higher and be more explosive.
Resistance basketball drills are a great tool for developing athleticism and explosiveness. They should be incorporated into your basketball training in some form if you want to maximize your jumping ability, speed, and quickness.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Band Resisted Drop Step Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 Basketball, a partner, and a resistance band.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Band Resisted Forward Run Basketball Drill
- Band Resisted Lateral Layups Basketball Drill
- Band Resisted Layups Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on the drop step jump and being explosive at the basket.
- Stay low as you pivot to the basket, and then jump up as high as you can.
- Really focus on the proper footwork and mechanics of the movement.
- The player needs to keep their shoulders squared to the backboard as they jump.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player will place a resistance band around their waist, and the partner is going to hold the other end of it.
- When the basketball drill starts, the player will begin on the low block with a basketball in their hands (facing out towards the perimeter).
- Partner will be out towards the mid-range area and will hold the resistance band low to the floor.
- The player will slap the ball, simulating they just received a pass, and then they are going to drop step towards the basket and jump up as high as they can.
- The player can finish at the basket with a layup or dunk, or you can work on just the movement and have the player tap the backboard with the ball (two hands).
- The player will immediately reset and then get into the next repetition.