Making a dribble move to get by a defender is only the first part of the movement. The second part is being able to explode past that defender and get to the next level. So whether it is in transition or in the half-court, you must learn how to be explosive past the defender after making your dribble move. This basketball resistance drill is going to work on this exact skill.
The basketball workout below will teach the player the correct movement of getting past the defender and then also help develop the player’s explosiveness through repetitions. The resistance band will place added difficulty on the player, which will really help develop that quick first step that you are looking for. A big key to this basketball drill is making sure that you are really locking in on the technique of the movement. Try to eliminate all unneeded motion.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Band Resisted First Step Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: One basketball, a resistance band, 3-6 chairs/cones, and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Band Resisted Defensive Slides Basketball Drill
- Band Resisted Forward Run Basketball Drill
- Band Resisted Layups Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on developing an explosive quick step off of the dribble
- Stay low when executing your move and really explode forward out of the movement.
- You are only working on the first two steps after the move, so slow down before attacking the next chair or cone.
- Keep your eyes up and see the floor while doing the drill.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Place 3-6 chairs/cones in a staggered line about 8-10 feet apart from each other.
- Wrap the resistance band around the player’s waist and then start facing the first chair (4-5 feet away from the chair).
- Make sure the resistance band is taught before starting.
- The player will start with the basketball in the hand opposite of the next chair in line.
- When the drill starts, they are going to attack the first chair with the dribble.
- When they reach the chair, they will make a change of direction move (crossover, between the legs, etc.) and explode past the chair.
- They will continue all the way through the chairs, repeating the same movement.