This basketball workout is a good exercise to help to strengthen your core. Being able to move side to side quickly means that you need to have a strong core. This basketball resistance drill also helps you to be able to plant off of your foot and explode quickly and stop quickly. It is also great for working on the player’s overall strength in the legs.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Band Resisted Forward and Backward Lunges Drill
Equipment Needed: A resistance band.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Band Resisted Back Peddle Drill
- Band Resisted 4 Way Training Drill
- Band Resisted Defensive Slides Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Strengthen your abductors and allow you to improve your lateral quickness
- Stay low and don’t raise up out of stance.
- Keep your feet about shoulder-width apart.
- Keep the band tight as you do the drill.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Place the band around your legs and start in a defensive stance.
- Keep your butt low, and do not bob up and down as you slide.
- Walk forward, making sure not to open up your hips as you walk forward.
- Go about 8 steps forward and then start backward lunges.