Band Resisted Lateral Layups are a great basketball drill because it incorporates both speed training and a specific basketball skill. This drill works on finishing at the basket and developing explosiveness. The resistance band helps you to improve your explosiveness and the speed of your first step. Defensive slides are also incorporated into this resistance basketball drill so that your lateral quickness will be built up as well.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Band Resisted Lateral Layups Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: Resistance band and partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Band Resisted Backboard Touches Basketball Drill
- Band Resisted Layups Basketball Drill
- Band Resisted Sweeps Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Build quickness in your first step and improve your speed as well as lateral quickness
- Stay low and really extend your lead foot to the basket each time.
- Finish off of two feet
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Place the band around your waist and start under the basket.
- Next, you are going to defensive shuffle out to either corner.
- After you get to the corner, extend your foot closest to the basket as far as you can and explode to the basket while only dribbling the ball once.
- Finish off of two feet every time and keep your shoulders squared to the backboard.
- Get your own rebound and defensive slide out to the opposite corner and then repeat the action.
- The partner holding the band can adjust the resistance and angle of pull as the drill goes on.