The band resisted sweeps drill is a great basketball workout that you can use to increase your speed and explosiveness. The resistance bands trick your muscles into working harder than they normally would. So that way, when you take the resistance bands off and do the same motion, you are even quicker than you were before. You must have some kind of basketball resistance drills in your basketball training. They are just too valuable to leave out.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Band Resisted Sweeps Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: Resistance band and partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Band Resisted Backboard Touches Basketball Drill
- Band Resisted Lateral Layups Basketball Drill
- Band Resisted Layups Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on first step quickness/explosiveness and finishing at the basket.
- Throw your foot and ball out in front of you, explode off your back leg, keep your head up, try to finish with only one dribble.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Place the band around your waist and start at the top of the key in the triple threat position, ready to sweep the ball to either the right or the left.
- When you are ready, sweep the ball and explode to the basket as hard and as quick as you can.
- Try and get to the basket with only one dribble and finish off of two feet.
- Rebound your ball and reset to the starting position and sweep in the opposite direction of the first sweep.
- The partner can adjust the resistance and angle of pull through the drill.