Sometimes when shooting catch and shoot shots, it can be easy for a player to get disinterested, or the drill becomes boring. The baseball scoring basketball 3 point shooting drill doesn’t do anything crazy or different than a normal catch and shoot drill, but the scoring is fun and different, so it keeps the player interested and motivated while shooting the basketball.
It is also a good basketball shooting drill for practicing your form and technique because you should be shooting the basketball the same way every time. Along with getting up a lot of repetitions, the drill will help to work on mental strength for the shooter and also learning to shoot under a little bit of pressure. Mixing in basketball drills like this to your workouts will help keep them fun and also keep the players engaged.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Baseball Scoring 3 Point Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs, 9 cones, and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Work on your catch and shoot shot.
- Come into your shot the same way every time and hold your follow-through.
- Focus on the shot you are shooting and have a short memory if you missed the last shot.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- You will set up 9 cones around the 3 point line just inside the arc (3-4 feet apart).
- The shooter will start at the first cone in the corner, ready to shoot.
- Each of the 9 cones is an inning, and at each cone, you get 3 outs.
- Every miss is an out, so once you get 3 outs at the first cone, you go to the next cone, and the inning starts over.
- The way you score runs is by making shots.
- If you make a shot, but it hits the rim or backboard, it is considered a single, but if you get a swish, it is considered a home run.
- So, for example, if you have 3 singles (3 people on base) and you hit a home run (swish), then you get four runs/points.
- In that same situation, if you make a shot with 3 people on base, you get 1 run/point cause you sent someone home.
- The drill is finished when you have gotten 3 outs at all 9 cones.