There are two primary times when a shooter will use a freeze fake shot during the course of a game. They can use it on a catch and shoot shot when they are being closed out by a defender to see if the defender will fully commit to the closeout, or it can be used in a dribble pull-up situation to get the defender off their feet. This basketball drill will work specifically on the catch and shoot freeze fake shot.
The beat the pro shooting drill can be used for several different types of shots, but the reason it is called beat the pro is because it is going to keep track of makes and misses and force the player to beat the imaginary pro player. It is one of the better basketball shooting drills to help a player develop mental toughness and teach them to move onto the next shot. Add this drill to your basketball training plan today and start becoming a better shooter.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Beat the Pro Mid Range Freeze Fake Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Beat the Pro Mid Range Basketball Shooting Drill
- Beat the Pro Shot Fake 1 Dribble Pull Up Basketball Shooting Drill
- Beat the Pro Sweep 1 Dribble Pull Up Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on the mid-range freeze fake shot and also on the players shooting toughness.
- Be down ready on every shot, and stay in the shot until you make or miss.
- Have a short memory, and only focus on the next shot, stay mentally tough.
- You can make the drill more difficult by having misses be worth 3 or 4 points for the pro.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- There are 3 different spots that you can do the drill from; either baseline to wing and elbow to elbow.
- The player will start in one of the corner spots, though, and to advance to the next spot, they must beat the current spot.
- To start the drill, the player will be in the mid-range corner area, ready to shoot.
- There will be a passer at the free-throw line area and a rebounder in the paint.
- The passer will hit the shooter for a freeze fake mid-range shot.
- After the shooter shoots the ball, they will run up to the wing for another mid-range freeze fake shot.
- They will continue this motion back and forth until they have either made 12 shots or missed 6 (1 point for every make and 2 points for the pro on every miss).