If you are a shooter, then one of your greatest tools is the shot fake. The defender already knows that he/she had better get a hand up on your shot, but if you can get them to leave their feet on the contest, they are at your mercy. This basketball drill is designed to help you work on your shot fake one-dribble pull-up shot and help you develop your mental toughness by putting added pressure on the shooter to hit shots.
You are playing against yourself in this basketball shooting drill, and basically makes are positive, and misses are negative. If you get off to a bad start, you may have to hit 5 shots in a row. Do you have the mental toughness to do that, or will you shut down? Train your mind to think big and learn to hit big shots. This will help you when the time comes to take and make a big shot in a game.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Beat the Pro Shot Fake One Dribble Pull Up Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Movement Shot Fake One Dribble Pull Up Basketball Shooting Drill
- Movement Sweep One Dribble Pull Up Basketball Shooting Drill
- Sweep One Dribble Pull Up Partner Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on your shot fake one-dribble pull-up shot and also develop mental toughness while shooting the basketball.
- Make your shot fake look exactly like your shot until you pull it down; really focus on selling it.
- Cover ground with the dribble and raise up on the pull-up.
- Keep your eyes up and see the floor on the dribble.
- Stay in your shot till you see if you made or missed, don’t run off to the next spot.
- To make this shot fake basketball shooting drill more challenging, you can set the misses to be worth 3 or 4 points for the Pro.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player will start in the corner with a pass up top and a rebounder underneath the basket.
- The shooter will receive the pass, shot fake, and then take a one-dribble pull-up shot.
- After shooting the basketball, the player will run to the wing and repeat the move.
- The player will go back and forth between the two spots doing the same move.
- Every make for the player is worth 1 point, and every miss is worth 2 points for the Pro (figurative person) first person to 12 points wins; the player must make 12 shots before missing 6.
- Once the player beats the Pro from that spot, they are allowed to move on to the top of the key and shoot from lane line to lane line.
- After that, the player will go from the opposite corner to the opposite wing.
- The player must beat each spot in the correct order and is not allowed to move on without winning at spot 1 first.