Ever wonder how a good basketball shooter can miss five shots in a row but then come back in the same game and hit multiple shots in a row? It is all about having mental toughness and continuing to shoot, knowing that you will hit the next shot. This catch and shoot basketball shooting drill is designed to put that added pressure on the shooter and help them shoot and make shots even if they have missed several in a row.
You will never be able to fully simulate the pressure that there is when shooting in a real game, but with basketball shooting drills like this, you can come close to it. Your mind becomes comfortable with taking and making shots when there is added pressure on you.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Beat the Pro Three Point Basketball Shooting Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Bob Knight 3 Point Basketball Shooting Drill
- Beat the Pro Mid Range Basketball Shooting Drill
- Bob Knight Mid Range to 3 Point Basketball Shooting Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on your shot and learn to shoot three-pointers under pressure.
- Don’t think about the last shot; miss or make.
- Shoot one shot at a time and stay mentally tough even if you have missed a few in a row.
- You can up the difficulty and make your misses worth 3 or 4 points for the pro instead of just 2 points.
- Shoot the basketball the same way every time.
- You must turn your shoulders and run to each spot, don’t defensive slide.
- Stay in your shot, and don’t run off till it goes in or misses.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- There is one rebounder, one passer, and the drill can be done from 3 different places around the arc; corner to the wing, lane line to lane line, and opposite corner to the wing.
- The shooter will start in one of the corners, ready to shoot, and the passer will pass them the ball.
- Now the player will catch and shoot the ball.
- After they shoot, they will turn and run to the spot on the wing.
- As they get close to the wing, the passer will pass again, and the player will catch and shoot.
- The player will continue to go back and forth from corner to wing.
- For the scoring of this basketball drill, every shot that the player makes, he/she gets 1 point, but every shot missed is 2 points for the pro (imaginary person).
- The first person to 12 points wins.
- So the player must make 12 shots before they miss 6.
- The player can only go on to the next set up spots if they beat the pro from the spot they are at.