This one ball basketball dribbling drill will work on a few different things at the same time. It will work on a specific combo move that the player can use during the course of a game. Secondly, it will develop a player’s hand quickness and overall ability to handle a basketball. During the course of a game, a ball handler will need to be able to quickly change the basketball from hand to hand with comfort and without having to stop and think about it. The behind the back crossover dribbling drill is going to help the player work on exactly that.
Another great thing about basketball dribbling drills like this is that they can be done pretty much anywhere that there is a flat surface. So if you don’t have access to a gym, you can do this drill in your garage, driveway, etc. This pretty much eliminates the excuse of not being able to find space to work on your game.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Behind The Back Crossover Basketball Dribbling Drill
Equipment Needed: One basketball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- In and Out Rhythm Basketball Dribbling Drill
- Pound Dribbles Double Between the Legs Basketball Dribbling Drill
- Pound Dribbles Double Behind the Back Basketball Dribbling Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Develop hand quickness and work on a specific move and overall handles.
- Stay low during the entire basketball drill; don’t raise up after you make the move.
- Don’t worry about losing the ball. You should be going so fast and hard that this happens naturally.
- You want to prepare for harder than it would be in an actual game.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player is going to start with the basketball in their right hand.
- When the drill starts, they will get down into an athletic position and then make a behind back move directly into a crossover.
- Without stopping or hesitating, the player will go directly into another behind the back crossover move.
- This will continue for the desired time (usually 20-30 seconds), and then the player will switch to their left hand and repeat the motion going the opposite direction.