Dribbling the basketball through traffic as a ball-handler will force you to keep your head up, make multiple moves in a row, and protect the basketball from defenders. Great ball handlers in basketball can do all of these things while still reading the defense and looking for open teammates or open lanes to score.
This basketball dribbling drill will simulate making quick moves back to back. It will help the player learn to play low while dribbling the basketball and have great footwork as they maneuver through the cones. It is also a great basketball drill that you can use with your guards at practice because it allows you to incorporate a large number of players.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Between the Legs Rhythm Basketball Dribbling Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and 8-10 cones.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Crossover Rhythm Basketball Dribbling Drill
- Behind the Back Rhythm Basketball Dribbling Drill
- Reverse Between the Legs Rhythm Basketball Dribbling Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on making multiple dribble moves in a row.
- Also, develop footwork and learn to stay low while dribbling the basketball.
- Don’t step over the cones, but go in and out of the cones.
- Keep your eyes up the whole time and stay low as you navigate through the cones.
- Really look to be explosive on the last move.
- If multiple players are doing this one ball basketball dribbling drill on the same line of cones, have the next player in line start when the first player gets past the 3rd cone; this will keep them from being on top of each other.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up a line of cones, each being about 1-2 feet apart.
- The player is going to start at one end of the cones.
- When the drill starts, the player will take a rhythm dribble and then go between the legs at the first cone.
- They will then push the ball out with another rhythm, dribble to the next cone and then go between the legs again.
- They will continue this all the way through the line of cones.
- At the last cone, really drive the ball out after making the between the legs move.