When a big man can quickly sprint to a ball screen, it allows the ball handler the chance to quickly attack off the screen. This is not always available because sometimes the defense will do a good job of staying on the hip of the screener, but for this basketball drill, you will simulate that the defensive big man is late on the screen and work on attacking right off of the ball screen.
A big key to this off the basketball shooting drill is letting the screener first get set and making sure the player with the ball sets up their defender. That is why the player will use a jab step move away from the screen before using it. This will sell the defender that the player is going baseline, but he/she is really going to attack to the middle off of the ball screen.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Blow Off Ball Screen Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and 2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Ball Screen Turn the Corner Basketball Drill
- How to Refuse a Ball Screen in Basketball
- How to Split a Ball Screen in Basketball
Goals of the Drill
- Read the defense on the ball screen and then work on attacking the flat hedge ball screen defense.
- Set your man up before the catch and the reversal.
- Sell the jab step move and attack hard off of the ball screen; keep your eyes up.
- When you jab step, you want to sell the move with your body, eyes, and basketball.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- The player will start on the wing with the basketball, and there will be a partner on the opposite wing and top of the key.
- When the drill starts, the player is going to skip pass the basketball to the opposite wing.
- Now the ball is going to be swung around the top of the key back to the player.
- While this is happening, the player needs to set their imaginary defender up with a V cut.
- As the player is catching the ball, the partner at the top of the key will come over for a wing ball screen.
- The player will jab step towards the baseline and then use the ball screen to attack middle for a pull-up jump shot.
- Reset and then have the player go again or have the next player in line go.