When you catch the basketball, you shouldn’t have to think about what you will do with your feet. You should be able to pivot with either foot forward or reverse. Scoring the basketball out of multiple types of pivots allows you to read the defender and not worry about your footwork.
After you read your defender, you should be able to make the correct move and exploit how they are guarding you. It all starts with having the correct footwork, though, and this basketball drill will help you develop your footwork.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Box Drill Step Across and Go
Equipment Needed: 1 Basketball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Work on your footwork and be able to make a move with either foot being your pivot foot and be able to pivot forward and backward.
- Keep your eyes up when you make the move.
- Go north and south with your dribble.
- Take a straight line to the basket and be strong with the ball.
- Be explosive with your moves and try to finish with only one dribble.
- Push the ball out and get to the basket.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- You will do two moves out of each pivot and in this order; left foot reverse, right foot reverse, left foot forward, and right foot forward.
- Start on the left block facing the free-throw line.
- Spin the ball out to the elbow, run up, jump-stop, and grab the ball with both hands.
- Pivot, face-up, step across your imaginary defender and then drive to the basket.
- Get your rebound and then go to the other lane line and spin the ball out to the elbow.
- Make your move, get the ball, and then go to the left block and start the next pivot move.
- You are going to do 8 total moves, and you can vary your finishes at the basket.
- For this basketball finishing drill, you can work on whatever type of finish you would like.
- Athletic finish, pro hop, Rondo fake, shot fake, spin move, etc.