The chest pass is basketball fundamental, but many younger players do not know the proper mechanics of throwing a good chest pass. Many basketball players pass from their hip, which isn’t as accurate, and the ball has a weird spin on it, which can make it hard for a teammate to handle.
A good pass can mean the difference between a miss and a make on a catch and shoot shot, so learning to make a good chest pass is important. This basketball passing drill will teach you how to make a chest pass correctly, but it will also give you a good basketball drill for practicing the pass. Once you learn the correct way to make the pass, it is up to you to spend the needed time developing your muscle memory.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Chest Pass Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball and a partner, or a wall.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Learn how to do a proper chest pass.
- Focus on the proper mechanics of each pass and really snap your pass.
- Really try to focus on hitting the receiver in their shooting pocket every time.
- If you are using a wall, try to hit the same spot every time.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Stand 6-8 feet away from your partner, and face them.
- One player will start with the ball, and the other player will get ready to receive the pass.
- The player with the ball will step forward with either foot and snap a chest pass to their partner.
- The partner will catch the pass and then make a chest pass back.
- Continue back and forth for the desired amount of times or repetitions.
- If you don’t have a partner, you can use a wall to practice your chest passes.