This combination basketball shooting drill is excellent because it allows you to work on multiple offensive skills, all in the same drill. You will start with ball handling, make a pass off the dribble, move without the basketball, and then do a scoring move. If you are trying to become a complete basketball player, this is one of the better basketball drills to use.
Doing multiple things in a row will also help younger players learn to think while doing a drill. Anyone can shoot 10 catch and shoot shots from each spot without having to think, but basketball shooting drills like these make sure that the player is mentally engaged. Also, there is a good probability that the player doing the drill will struggle with one of the areas of this drill, and it allows you to work on that weakness along with their strengths.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Combo Moves L Cut Shot Fake Side Step Shot Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 1 basketball per player, 2 chairs/cones, and a partner.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- 5 Point Fade Cut Basketball Shooting Drill
- Reverse Between the Legs Double Pin Down Diamond Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on ball handling, passing off the dribble, moving without the ball, and shot fake side step shot move.
- This drill can be done with 1 or multiple players.
- Stay low and keep the ball tight to your body when dribbling through the chairs.
- Snap the pass and make a sharp cut.
- Really sell your shot fake and take a hard pound dribble into your shot on the move.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up 2 chairs or cones right in a row in the middle of the paint about 3 feet apart.
- The passer will be at the top of the key, and the player will be under the basket with the ball.
- The player will dribble to the first chair/cone and make an in and out crossover/between the legs, behind the back, or reverse between the legs move (alternate the moves in that order as you go through each time).
- At the next chair/cone, they are going to do the same move.
- After that, they will make a one-hand pass off the dribble to the coach/passer.
- Now they will do a sharp L cut out to the wing and open up for the pass.
- They will catch the ball, shot fake, take a side step dribble, and then shoot a 3 point shot (unless you are working on mid-range shots).
- After shooting the basketball, they will get their own shot and get back in line and get ready to repeat the drill.
Switch sides after completing the number of shots or makes desired.