The cones change direction drill is a great basketball quickness and speed drill for developing a quick change of direction movements. In a live game, you will always have to be ready to change direction right on the spot, usually without any notice. This basketball workout sets up these game situations so that you can get lots of reps at changing directions quickly.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Cones Change Direction Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 cones.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Improve your speed and change of direction quickness
- Stay in a straight line, have some bend in your legs when you change direction, Cross your leg over when changing directions.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up two cones 5 yards apart and have the player start at either cone in an athletic position.
- He will begin defensive sliding back and forth between the cones.
- When the coach yells go (or on the player’s own command), the player will turn, crossover step, and sprint out of the opposite cone.
- This drill can be done with a forward/back peddle run before turning and sprinting out of the drill.