Whether you are a guard, wing, or post player in basketball, you should always be spending time working on ball handling and ball control. This will not only help you become better at dribbling a basketball, but it will also improve your overall touch and hand-eye coordination, which will help in a number of other areas.
Along with improving ball handling, this basketball drill is a great way to get warmed up and ready to go full speed for a workout or basketball practice. And, because it is able to incorporate a lot of players at the same time, it makes it ideal for an entire basketball team or a player working on their game by themselves.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Cones Warmup Basketball Dribbling Drill
Equipment Needed: Cones and basketball.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Quick Feet In and Out Basketball Drill
- Quick Feet In and Out Two Ball Rhythm Basketball Drill
- Quick Feet In and Out Rhythm Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on ball handling and being able to make different counter moves on the go.
- Get warmed up before a workout or basketball practice.
- The player needs to stay low in an athletic stance the whole time they are going through the drill.
- Keep your eyes up and scan the floor as you handle the basketball.
- Sell your moves and make sharp movements at each cone.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up 6-8 cones in a zig-zag pattern leading up the floor.
- Each player in line will start with a basketball.
- When the drill starts, the first player in line will attack the first cone coming in at an angle.
- They will make the desired move at the cone, change direction, and then attack the next diagonal cone.
- This pattern will continue all the way through the cones.
- The next way you can set this basketball dribbling drill up is to attack the line of cones on the right and then come back through the other side of the cones coming back.
- This will be used to work on whatever double combo moves that you would like to work on.