During the course of a basketball game, a player is sometimes going to have to make multiple reads in a quick period of time. They may have to execute a play, make a read on a ball screen, sprint back on defense, communicate, etc. So it is important that players are being trained to handle this type of quick thinking and be able to do multiple things simultaneously while they are in the middle of the game.
This combination basketball shooting drill will work on different specific skills, but it is also going to require the player to stay mentally engaged while doing the basketball drill. The player will have to execute multiple types of cuts and movements while getting fatigued from the drill. All this allows the player to work on their physical skill development while also developing mentally as well.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Defender Goes Under Ball Screen Series Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs, cone, and 1-2 partners.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
Goals of the Drill
- Work on using a ball screen and then shooting off of dribble penetration.
- Stay mentally engaged as you go through all of the different movements of this basketball shooting drill.
- Make sure that you are executing the correct movements as you get tired.
- Make sure that you get below the level of the ball screen before using it.
- Have your hands ready as you slide up or down for your shot.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up a cone or chair on the wing, around the 3 point area.
- The player is going to start with the ball out near half-court on the wing. One partner will be playing token defense on the player, and the other will be in the paint with the other ball.
- When the drill starts, the player must dribble down below the screen (cone/chair), attack the screen, and then shoot behind the screen when the token defender goes under.
- After shooting the basketball, the player will run to the corner for a shot, simulating a baseline drive and kick.
- For the 3rd and final shot, the player will slide up the 3 point line for a catch and shoot shot – simulating a middle drive and kick.
- The player will reset and repeat the same action, or the next player in line will go.
- Complete the series 5 times and then switch sides of the floor and repeat.