If you look at some of the best scorers in basketball, you will quickly realize that they can score in a variety of ways. They find different scoring opportunities within the offense, and then they make the defense pay.
This combination basketball shooting drill will focus on three different types of shots that a wing player will get within the offense. It will work on when a defender goes under a ball screen, a drift action, and then a straight cut action. Basketball drills like this one are great because they work on game-specific movements, and they also force the player to stay mentally engaged by throwing in several different moves into the same basketball shooting drill.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Defender Goes Under Game Situation Scoring Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: 2 basketballs, two partners, and a cone.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Flat Switch Game Situation Scoring Basketball Drill
- Defender Goes Under Ball Screen Series Basketball Drill
- Ball Screen Flat Switch Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Work on different scoring options within the offense.
- Focus on making sharp game speed moves every time.
- Stay in your shot until you make or miss.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Set up a cone just outside the 3 point line and slightly to the right of the lane line.
- The player will start with the ball 6-8 feet from the 3 point line and with a dummy defender on them.
- When the drill starts, the player will dribble the defender below the level of the cones (ball screen) and then use the ball screen.
- The defender will go under, and the player must stop and shoot behind the screen.
- After they shoot the basketball, the player will immediately go to the wing and begin sliding towards the baseline (simulating a drift on a penetration), where they will receive a pass for a rip through one-dribble pull up.
- For the final shot, the player will go immediately down to the block, set up their imaginary defender, and then straight cut out to the wing for the ball.
- As they catch the ball, they will use a chase dribble and pull up for a mid-range shot.
- After this shot, the player will reset at the beginning and repeat the same 3 shots.
- After 5 times through switch sides and repeat.