Depth jumps are a plyometric drill that uses your body’s momentum against you and causes your muscles to work harder and jump higher. In a sense, with this basketball workout, you are tricking your body into working harder because you are using your downward force against yourself. That way, when you jump regularly in a game, your muscles will be trained to jump, thinking that the added force is still there, but it isn’t, and you will jump a lot higher now. This is one of the better vertical jump basketball drills to use when improving a player’s jumping ability.
Basketball Drill Overview
Drill Name: Depth Jumps Basketball Drill
Equipment Needed: Box or bleachers.
Similar Basketball Drills and Resources
- Multiple Depth Jumps Basketball Drill
- Box Jumps Basketball Drill
- Reaction Depth Jumps Basketball Drill
Goals of the Drill
- Improve Jumping, quickness, Footwork
- Start with a shorter plyo-box to minimize ground contact time.
Basketball Drill Instructions
- Standing on top of a plyo-box, drop to the floor and immediately jump up as high as you can.
- Advance this drill by immediately jumping back onto the box.
- Further, advance this drill by jumping onto another plyometric box.
- You may use another box of lesser, equal, or greater height to adjust the difficulty.
- Align several boxes in a row to maximize difficulty.
- Adjust the order of heights to randomize the drill.